Monday, March 12, 2007

Here I go

I've installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my Compaq nc6000. Everything looks okay.

Installed GHC 6.6 from debian unstable repositories. Everything looks fine but the docs are not as complete as the docs for the Windows version. Oh, well, I guess it's gonna be a while before I need what's missing, premature optimization and all that.

Installed Emacs-snapshot-gtk. It's version 22.0.50.1. Font in buffers look a little weird. So :
Options -> Customize Emacs -> Faces Matching Regexp ...
Customize regexp: default
Height in 1/10 pt: 160

Hmm, good enough.

Installed Haskell-Mode-2.3. Added to .emacs: (windmove-default-keybindings)
now I can Shift+arrow between windows (or frames if you come from Windows like I do).

Now to salute the planet. Let's see:
C-x C-f
~/code/haskell/test.hs


And the code:
module Test where

main :: IO ()
main = putStrLn "Hello, World!"


Then:
C-c C-l
Shift+down
main

Hello World!

Perfect. This is the same setup I had back on WinXP and it was great.

I've yet to setup my C coding environment since I'm not satisfied with cc-mode in emacs. I wish that it worked as smoothly as the haskell-mode but alas... Maybe if knew enough elisp I could hack it to perfection but I'll defer my elisp education to some time further into the future. Right now I want to concentrate on Linux, C and Haskell. So it's time to come up with a study plan.

Hmm, I'll have to think about it and report back. Later.

No comments: